"Kernicterus" is a descriptor in the National Library of Medicine's controlled vocabulary thesaurus,
MeSH (Medical Subject Headings). Descriptors are arranged in a hierarchical structure,
which enables searching at various levels of specificity.
A term used pathologically to describe BILIRUBIN staining of the BASAL GANGLIA; BRAIN STEM; and CEREBELLUM and clinically to describe a syndrome associated with HYPERBILIRUBINEMIA. Clinical features include athetosis, MUSCLE SPASTICITY or hypotonia, impaired vertical gaze, and DEAFNESS. Nonconjugated bilirubin enters the brain and acts as a neurotoxin, often in association with conditions that impair the BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER (e.g., SEPSIS). This condition occurs primarily in neonates (INFANT, NEWBORN), but may rarely occur in adults. (Menkes, Textbook of Child Neurology, 5th ed, p613)
- Encephalopathy, Bilirubin
- Bilirubin Encephalopathy
- Bilirubin Encephalopathies
- Encephalopathies, Bilirubin
- Hyperbilirubinemic Encephalopathy
- Encephalopathies, Hyperbilirubinemic
- Hyperbilirubinemic Encephalopathies
- Encephalopathy, Hyperbilirubinemic
Below are MeSH descriptors whose meaning is more general than "Kernicterus".
- Diseases [C]
- Nervous System Diseases [C10]
- Central Nervous System Diseases [C10.228]
- Brain Diseases [C10.228.140]
- Brain Diseases, Metabolic [C10.228.140.163]
- Kernicterus [C10.228.140.163.480]
- Hemic and Lymphatic Diseases [C15]
- Hematologic Diseases [C15.378]
- Erythroblastosis, Fetal [C15.378.295]
- Kernicterus [C15.378.295.502]
- Congenital, Hereditary, and Neonatal Diseases and Abnormalities [C16]
- Infant, Newborn, Diseases [C16.614]
- Erythroblastosis, Fetal [C16.614.304]
- Kernicterus [C16.614.304.502]
- Nutritional and Metabolic Diseases [C18]
- Metabolic Diseases [C18.452]
- Brain Diseases, Metabolic [C18.452.132]
- Kernicterus [C18.452.132.480]
- Immune System Diseases [C20]
- Erythroblastosis, Fetal [C20.306]
- Kernicterus [C20.306.502]
- Pathological Conditions, Signs and Symptoms [C23]
- Pathologic Processes [C23.550]
- Hyperbilirubinemia [C23.550.429]
- Kernicterus [C23.550.429.750]
Below are MeSH descriptors whose meaning is more specific than "Kernicterus".
This graph shows the total number of publications written about "Kernicterus" by people in this website by year, and whether "Kernicterus" was a major or minor topic of these publications.
To see the data from this visualization as text, click here.